Rolfsjord_1998_Vet.Hum.Toxicol_40_222

Reference

Title : Severe organophosphate (demeton-S-methyl) poisoning in a two-year-old child - Rolfsjord_1998_Vet.Hum.Toxicol_40_222
Author(s) : Rolfsjord LB , Fjaerli HO , Meidel N , Stromme JH , Kowalczyk M , Jacobsen D
Ref : Vet Hum Toxicol , 40 :222 , 1998
Abstract :

A previously healthy 2-y-old boy was admitted to the hospital 30 min after the ingestion of 10 ml of demeton-S-methyl (META-SYSTOX). Treatment consisted of gastric decontamination, atropine, reactivator (obidoxime) and supportive therapy. Atropine was given to control the muscarinic features. Assisted ventilation was required for 6 h; however, this treatment was able to be discontinued following the second injection of obidoxime 11.5 h after the ingestion. Excess salivation and slight bradycardia were easily controlled with small doses of atropine for 5 d following admission to Ullevaal Hospital. Further course was uneventful, and the patient was discharged on the 8th d without any sequelae. Plasma cholinesterase levels were initially low (<400 U/l), but returned to reference values upon discharge. In this case, adequate supportive therapy and the rapid administration of both atropine and obidoxime were clearly associated with a favorable outcomes

PubMedSearch : Rolfsjord_1998_Vet.Hum.Toxicol_40_222
PubMedID: 9682409

Related information

Inhibitor Demeton    Methyl-demeton

Citations formats

Rolfsjord LB, Fjaerli HO, Meidel N, Stromme JH, Kowalczyk M, Jacobsen D (1998)
Severe organophosphate (demeton-S-methyl) poisoning in a two-year-old child
Vet Hum Toxicol 40 :222

Rolfsjord LB, Fjaerli HO, Meidel N, Stromme JH, Kowalczyk M, Jacobsen D (1998)
Vet Hum Toxicol 40 :222